Senior EU Ocean Campaigner*in
Environmental Justice Foundation
Location: Berlin, Brussels or London with occasional travel in Europe
Contract: Full-time, permanent
Salary range: Dependent on experience
Reporting to: Global CEO
- Annual paid leave of 28 days increasing subsequently each year and additional paid leave over Christmas
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Home working 2 days per week
This is a rare opportunity to join the team at the Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF): one of the world's leading non-profit organisations working at the intersection of environmental conservation and human rights.
This is a Senior Campaigner role, leading EJF’s ocean policy advocacy in Europe, including the EU institutions and key Member States.
EJF’s Ocean team documents illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing and associated human rights abuses. The team uses field-based evidence to advocate for policy changes with governments and improved corporate practises in the seafood sector. We advocate the need for greater transparency in global fisheries through the adoption of EJF’s Charter for Transparency. In addition, EJF is campaigning on a range of related topics including bottom trawling, the establishment of fully protected areas to extend to 30% of ecologically representative marine areas by or before 2030 (30x30); advocacy to drive a moratorium on deep-sea mining; and the protection and restoration of “blue carbon” habitats, specifically including mangroves, seagrasses and coastal wetlands.
Reporting to EJF’s Global CEO, this senior role will lead a talented team of EJF campaigners in the UK, Germany, Belgium and France to influence decision-makers in governments, parliaments and industry. The position will mentor and guide them to advance EJF’s policy objectives. It will also oversee EJF’s participation in a growing number of NGO coalitions working to secure the development and implementation of better ocean policies.
This role offers unique opportunities for career growth and personal development, working closely with a motivated, experienced team of investigators, campaigners and communications experts across Europe, Africa and Asia. This is a challenging but rewarding and dynamic role, giving insights and experience rarely available.
EJF is lean, agile, creative, strategic and most of all results-driven. Join our world-leading professional team to help protect people, wildlife, and our shared natural world.
- Oversee EJF’s ocean advocacy priorities in the EU to ensure their coherence with EJF’s global objectives. Working with colleagues, develop and implement advocacy plans with clear milestones and KPIs to deliver these priorities in the EU and Member States;
- Maintain and build relationships with key commissioners, cabinet members, national ministers, EU and national parliamentarians and other high-profile decision-makers to communicate EJF’s findings and recommendations;
- Manage EJF’s team of ocean campaigners working across Europe, mentoring them to develop skills in advocacy and tracking progress to ensure EJF’s objectives and commitments are met;
- Monitor and identify strategic opportunities with regard to EU ocean policy and political developments and provide political and legislative insights in support of possible engagement;
- Oversee the production of high-quality briefings, reports and other materials in support of EJF’s policy objectives;
- Ensure EJF’s findings are communicated to key members of European industry, with appropriate recommendations to secure more transparent, sustainable supply chains;
- Proactively liaise with the communications team to ensure EJF’s positions, achievements and other key messages are shared with target audiences; and
- Ensure EJF meets and exceeds commitments within NGO coalitions, supporting them to secure their objectives.
Essential skills and attributes
- A nuanced understanding of the political landscape in the EU and key Member States, in particular how environmental policies are developed and implemented.
- Proven ability to manage campaigners and campaign teams to success.
- Experience working on ocean policy or related disciplines.
- Understanding of the fundamental need for attention to detail and factual accuracy.
- A passion for communication and presenting to diverse audiences to secure their understanding, respect and support for the campaigns. This specifically includes high-level decision-makers from governments, industry and civil society.
- An understanding of the need for creative thinking to resolve issues and experience in building effective strategies for the delivery of core messages.
- Confident and enthusiastic to face challenging issues and a problem-solver.
- Creative thinker who uses tact and diplomacy to build productive partnerships and alliances.
- Integrity, tenacity and determination to secure positive change.
- Ability to travel frequently, often at short notice (public health restrictions permitting).
- Great interpersonal skills who will coordinate and strengthen team working.
- You take pride in delivering agreed outcomes on time and on budget, at times managing multiple projects and tight deadlines and knowing how to prioritise your workload.
- You are entirely comfortable taking direction, working in a team, with equal ability to work independently, taking initiative and responsibility.
- You appreciate the constraints of working in a smaller non-profit, and how to leverage cost-efficient outcomes where creativity, dynamism and flexibility rather than big budgets are the keys to success.
- You have a strong and demonstrable commitment to EJF’s mission, values and vision.
- You speak and write English with complete fluency and you enjoy communicating with colleagues, the public and other audiences to inspire support for the environment, wildlife and human rights.
- Fluency in at least one additional, relevant language strongly preferred.
- Experience working with or within EU institutions and/or Member State governments and/or parliaments.
- Ability to write clear, succinct policy guidance documents and reports as well as persuasive opinion pieces.
- Ability to undertake confident, accurate media interviews to further EJF's messages.
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 21 May 2022
Please note that we can only contact shortlisted candidates.
- Berlin, Brussels, London
- Environmental Justice Foundation
- (Ursprünglich) veröffentlicht am: