Student Assistent: Project Support – GIS tasks and data management for in-ternational projects in the field of energy access
Reiner Lemoine Institut gGmbH
Reiner Lemoine Institute is an independent non-profit research institution that contributes to a transformation towards a sustainable energy supply based on 100 % renewable energy. Our three research fields are Transformation of Energy Systems, Mobility with Renewable Energy, and Off-Grid Systems. We conduct applied research to scientifically support the long-term transition of the energy supply system towards renewable energy.
We are offering a position as student assistant in the Research Unit Off-Grid Systems to be filled as soon as possible focusing on:
Project Support – GIS tasks and data management for international projects in the field of energy access
The position is to be filled for a period of 6 months (extension possible).
In the Research Unit Off-Grid Systems, we develop renewable-energy-based electrification strategies for developing regions and optimize hybrid mini-grids applying energy system simulations and geographical information software (GIS).
You will arrive at an exciting moment: The Off-Grid team grew in the previous year and successfully acquired several projects from major international development organizations, such as the World Bank, the GIZ, or the EU focusing on clean and affordable energy access (SDG7) in emerging or developing countries. In our research for these projects, GIS analyses are a key component.
We are offering a student assistant position to work on the following tasks:
Supporting GIS tasks
- Conduct geospatial analysis (e.g. create new data sets and extracts from existing data)
- Apply existing methods and develop them further
- Support the establishment of data management structures
- Support the development of databases
Mapping and visualization
- Create maps to visualize results and share insights of respective datasets
- Support the creation of interactive web maps
What we offer:
- Dynamic problems to be solved by innovative GIS solutions – depending on the respective context and data availability
- The chance to work on international projects (focus on Sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia) in the framework of SDG7
- A friendly and open work environment with a young and passionate team (currently about 70 employees, with approx. 25 students)
- Academic support and supervision
- Flexible working hours
- Office on the Science Campus Adlershof, excellent public transport access
Please send your application as soon as possible cover letter, CV, transcript of records) via e-mail only, in one PDF file to Bewerbung@rl-institut.de. Please indicate the reference number „OffGrid_60_120319“ in the subject line.
Questions regarding tasks and scope of the work are answered by Catherina Cader (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Candidates must be enrolled in a master’s or bachelor’s degree program, preferably Geography, Envi-ronmental Management, Geo-informatics, or a related relevant field.
- Excellent GIS skills are required (e.g. in QGIS and R) plus the willingness to solely work with open-source GIS software.
- MS Office skills and programming skills are an asset.
- Knowledge of off-grid systems, energy access topics and/or international development is an asset.
- We expect successful candidates to work independently, systematically, and thoroughly with a high degree of self–initiative.
Reiner Lemoine Institut gGmbH
Forschungsbereich: Off Grid Systems
Rudower Chaussee 12
030 / 12 08 434 10
030 / 12 08 434 99
(Ursprünglich) veröffentlicht am: