© Kletr / Fotolia
The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
PhD project on identification of weather conditions associated with extreme impacts (m/f/x) Working time: 75% (29.25 hours per week), limited to 3 years
Possible starting date: 01.01.2021 or upon agreement
Understanding the drivers between large climate-related impacts is crucial for improving climate risk assessments under present and future climate conditions. Due to the complex interactions between climatic drivers in space and time, an attribution from impacts to their meteorological drivers is challenging. The new Helmholtz Young Investigator Group COMPOUNDX (Detecting compound climate features of extreme impacts) is looking for a PhD candidate with background in Earth system science and experience in machine learning who is interested in improving our knowledge on the drivers behind extreme climate impacts. You will use state-of-the-art machine learning approaches to identify weather features associated with extreme climate impacts such as crop failure in model simulations and observational data.
- Experience with large-scale data analysis
- Programming skills (Python, R, Julia or similar)
- Experience with deep learning methods
- Interest in interpretable ML methods
- Interest in understanding extreme climate impacts
- Strong analytical skills and capability to think “out-of-the box”
- Self-driven personality able to work both independently and in a team
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in Engineering, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Physics, Mathematics or related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- Work in interdisciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration public-sector pay grade TVöD E13 (75%) including attractive public-sector social security benefits
The UFZ has a strong commitment to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity.
We look forward to applications from people who are open-minded and enjoy working in diverse teams.
To be considered for this position, please include two referees with contact details in your candidacy.
Please submit your application via our online portal with your cover letter, CV (please omit your photo, age, or marital status) and relevant attachments.
Closing date for applications:
30. September 2020
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job: Dr. Jakob Zscheischler
Place of work: Leipzig
Please submit your application only via our online portal.
More information about jobs at the UFZ:
Umweltforschung GmbH – UFZ