Director (m/f) of the Endangered Primate Rescue Center, Cuc Phuong, Vietnam
Zoo Leipzig GmbH
Vacancy:Director (m/f) of the Endangered Primate Rescue Center, Cuc Phuong, Vietnam
Date: 26th of November 2018
The EPRC is located 150 km southwest of Hanoi inside Cuc Phuong National Park. Established in 1993, the center is a non-profit rescue center dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, breeding, research, and conservation of confiscated endangered primates. In addition the EPRC also works towards protection of primate habitats, in particular for re- introduction. Over its 25 years of operation the EPRC has become a well-known primate conservation institution with an internationally high reputation.
Zoo Leipzig (Germany) has given support to the project from the beginning and took over full management responsibility in 2013. The EPRC currently holds 170 individuals of 15 primate species and employs local staff of 28 keepers plus one veterinarian and one volunteer coordinator. Foreign volunteers and staff of Zoo Leipzig also support the work force from time to time.
Zoo Leipzig is currently looking to find a new permanent director. This is a challenging position in a demanding environment suitable for a highly dedicated and motivated individual.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Serve as country representative of Zoo Leipzig in collaboration with the Vietnamese authorities (Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Cuc Phuong National Park, PACCOM, etc).
- Managing the annual budget and providing accurate financial reports two times per year
- Developing and implementing all EPRC activities in line with the Project Management Plan
- Provide guidance and support to Vietnamese staff in undertaking all daily tasks and developing staff capacity
- Preparation of project proposals/reports, as well as other administrative tasks as required.
- Co-ordinate and maintain co-operation with other conservation projects, NGOs and institutions in Vietnam
- Obtaining third party funding for EPRC operations in cooperation with Zoo Leipzig
- Education as biologist or veterinarian (or comparable fields).
- Management experience in comparable projects in Vietnam / Asia.
- Experience in animal husbandry (preferably knowledge of primates).
- Good command of English (spoken and written), knowledge of Vietnamese is a huge benefit.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and ability to multi-task.
- Good practical skills and computer literacy.
- Full clean driving licence.
- Physically fit and able to work in a hot and humid climate.
- Ability to live under simple conditions in a rural area.
The position requires a minimum commitment of two years (including a probation period of six months). Accommodation on site at the EPRC is provided and suitable for a family.
A salary adequate to the responsibility of the position will be provided. Preference will be given to candidates indicating that they are prepared to stay for longer periods. The contract will be offered on a ‘contract for freelance work‘ basis, not as permanent staff of Zoo Leipzig. Therefore, health or social insurance contributions will not be covered.
A site visit prior signing the contract would be highly recommended.
Expected starting date: as soon as possible.
Please apply via e-mail: including covering letter, CV, university and career certificates and the contact details of two referees until latest 6st of January 2019 to:
Frank Oberwemmer, Conservation Officer, Zoo Leipzig, Pfaffendorfer Strasse 29, 04105 Leipzig (Germany).
Zoo Leipzig GmbH
Pfaffendorfer Strasse 29
(Ursprünglich) veröffentlicht am: