Blue Action Fund Programme Manager
Blue Action Fund
BLUE ACTION FUND is searching for a: Programme Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
CLOSING DATE: February 8, 2019
START DATE: May 1, 2019
CONTRACT: Full time, open ended
ABOUT BLUE ACTION FUND
Blue Action Fund is a foundation created by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and KfW Development Bank, and since joined by Sweden through the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs and France through the Agence Française de Développement (AFD). By providing grants to non-governmental organisations working in developing countries, Blue Action Fund seeks to conserve marine biodiversity for future generations and to improve the lives of local people today. In 2018, the foundation started its first grants and launched two calls for proposals. Further calls for proposals are expected in the coming years. The Blue Action Fund is seeking a Programme Manager to support the administration and management, monitoring and evaluation, and development of the grant programme and the overall organisation.
This post offers the opportunity to shape and drive a growing grant portfolio of marine conservation projects in developing countries while playing an integral role in the development of a young organisation. Based in Berlin, you will work with Blue Action Fund’s Executive Director and Programme Assistant to manage, monitor and evaluate the grant programme. You will contribute to appraisal of grant proposals, negotiations of grant agreements, and the monitoring and evaluation of ongoing projects. You will support grantees to comply with funding requirements, e.g. through developing further guidelines and by responding to individual requests. It is expected that you will play a crucial part to ensure a functioning Environmental and Social Management System. You will have key responsibilities to improve and professionalise the overall work of the programme and the foundation on all levels. You will work closely with Blue Action Fund’s partner - Nature Trust Alliance - and support outreach and communication activities, including the organisation of meetings with external players, board meetings, workshops and conferences. Within a very small team you will be ready to support all tasks that might need to be addressed.
- Ensure compliance of grantees with all requirements, including procurement policies, subcontracts and reporting requirements
- Ensure grantees’ compliance with Blue Action Fund’s Environmental and Social Safeguard policies
- Verify, initiate and monitor payment requests
- Track and monitor deadlines for reporting from grantees as well as to Blue Action Fund’s donors
- Support the development of calls for proposals and the appraisal of concept notes and full proposals
- Support contract management for grantees, consultants and other service providers
- Ensure, review and assess bi-annual reporting from Grantees
- Build up and maintain grant database
- Prepare and evaluate external review & audit
- Respond to individual questions from grantees
- Support reporting to funders, foundation authorities and public
- Provide smaller hands-on research services to support the grant programme (e.g. selection of proposals or focus areas, on potential grantees)
- Support development of administrative and operational procedures for programme and office
- Support financial management, including payments, budget forecasts etc.
- Any other tasks as requested by the Executive Director
All candidates for the position must provide evidence of the following:
- At least 5-7 years experience in project management (appraisal, implementation, monitoring) in the field of development cooperation with a proven track record in sectors like environmental protection, marine protection, natural resource management
- Professional experience in staff management and financial management
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline such as marine biology, ocean science, environmental studies, or public administration
- Strong interpersonal skills, empathy for project stakeholders and staff, and passion for the demanding and multi-faceted work in marine conservation and development
- Excellent written and oral language skills in English and at least good language skills in German. Other language skills are an asset
- Superior knowledge of working with Microsoft Office
- Adaptability to frequently changing project requirements and needs
In addition, experience or knowledge in at least some of the following areas is desirable:
- Alternative livelihoods and social development
- Fundraising / writing of funding proposals / appraisal of funder’s requests
- Marine conservation
- Environmental NGOs
You are an energetic, self-starting individual who can express ideas and is able to work alone with little direction and within remote teams. You are detail-oriented and process-minded, but also flexible enough to enjoy working for an organisation that is expected to continually evolve in the coming years. You can come from the NGO, foundation, public administration or private sector, but you should have vast experience in marine conservation, project management and monitoring.
You are comfortable working in a small organisation and understand that this means every day is different. You are very well-rounded and have a passion for learning and doing new things. You are ambitious, creative, helpful, and have a good sense of humour. You have written and spoken fluency in English and at least good knowledge of German. You are able to travel nationally and internationally.
Expressions of interest should be submitted electronically, in English. Please include a letter of motivation (not more than one page) indicating your salary expectations and curriculum vitae and send in a single pdf document to: email@example.com before February 8, 2019.
A shortlist of qualified candidates will be formally invited for an interview process in March.
Blue Action Fund
(Ursprünglich) veröffentlicht am: