Junior Professional Officer Program (JPO) - UN Secretariat (f/m/x)
Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Aktuell schreibt die Bundesregierung rund 35 JPO-Stellen in mehr als 20 verschiedenen Internationalen Organisationen aus, z. B. im UN-Sekretariat in New York, beim UNHCR in Genf, bei UNDP in Amman, bei UN-Habitat in Nairobi, bei der ILO in Budapest, oder bei der Weltbank in Washington.
Es handelt sich um reguläre Arbeitsverträge bei den Vereinten Nationen mit einer Dauer von zwei bis drei Jahren. Die Ausschreibung endet am 22. Februar 2019.
Title: JPO in Public Information
Sector of Assignment: Public Information
Organization/Office: United Nations Secretariat, Department of Public Information (DPI) / United Nations Regional Information Centre (UNRIC)
Country and Duty Station: Bonn, Germany
Duration of assignment: 2 years with possibility of extension for another year. Extension of appointment is subject to yearly review concerning priorities, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance
Please note that for participants of the JPO-Programme two years work experience are mandatory!
Title of Supervisor: UNRIC Desk Officer for Germany
Establishment of a Work Plan: During the first month of the assignment, the JPO will work jointly with his direct supervisor to finalize an agreed upon work plan. The final work plan will be discussed and mutually agreed to by the JPO and his supervisor.
Evaluation: The United Nations Performance Evaluation System (e-performance)/INSPIRA will serve as a primary platform to evaluate the JPO’s performance. The JPO will have regular meetings with the first reporting officer as part of an ongoing performance dialogue and pursuant to the administrative instruction on performance management. The JPO will also work closely with the Director, Deputy Director and other members of the UNRIC team for guidance, training and coaching if required, throughout the assignment.
Duties, Responsibilities and Output Expectations:
- Strengthens and expands contacts with German and international media representatives to promote coverage of UN activities, with an additional focus on the activities on the UN in Bonn. Maintains regular contacts with relevant journalists and is able to deliver key messages to the media. Possesses strong presentation skills and addresses different target audiences. Takes on a variety of speaking engagements and makes presentations to different stakeholders on the work of the UN and relevant issues.
- Distributes press and information material to selected target groups across multiple channels including social media.
- Assists the Desk Officer for Germany in the overall planning of recurrent information activities and special events and ensures a smooth functioning of the Office in the absence of the Desk Officer. Contributes to the Office’s production of German-language press and information material. Proposes information activities. Suggests efficient and targeted dissemination of information material produced. Makes arrangements for high-level visits. Translates and tailors press releases, fact sheets and press kits. Ability to develop and implement communication strategies for various issues.
- Further strengthens contacts with Ministries, local authorities, relevant organizations and institutions as well as NGOs. Attends activities and media events of above-mentioned institutions and organizations. Supports their activities and initiates joint activities and cooperation.
- Contributes to drafting campaigns and outreach activities for UN Bonn entities.
- Deals with public and media inquiries on the work of UN organizations in Bonn, serves as first contact point for external stakeholders.
- Maintains close liaison with Bonn-based UN entities to facilitate active exchange of information.
- Organizes and prepares meetings of the UN Communications Group in Bonn.
Qualifications and Experience:
Education: Master ́s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, political or social sciences or related field.
Work experience: Minimum of two years in the above-mentioned fields.
Languages: Fluency in English and German required.
Other skills: Fully proficient computer skills
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services
- Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”
- Takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things
- Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listen to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- On completion of the assignment, the JPO will have/be able to: Draft, implement and evaluate communications campaigns and use various outreach tools at the local, national and international level
- A thorough understanding of the UN’s rules and procedures – especially in relationship to partnership and communications
- Increased awareness of UN DPI’s and UN Bonn’s mission and strategic framework
- Write assessment reports
- Assess project proposals
- Draft project budgets according to UN standards
The JPO is a staff member of the United Nations Regional Information Centre (UNRIC) which is organized into nine geographical & thematic desks and a library. UNRIC works with all stakeholders in Europe – the European Union institutions, governments, all segments of the civil society and of course the media. UNRIC aims to inform but also to engage Europeans in issues of global reach.
In addition, the incumbent is also tasked with the common press and public information for UN Bonn. The overall objective of the common outreach by UN Bonn is to enhance public understanding and support for the work of these organizations and programmes through the provision of information and the creation of partnerships, and thus enhance the image of the UN in the host country and the wider region with the following mandates:
- Serves as an entry point to UN Bonn for various stakeholders and the general public
- Promotes outreach of UN Bonn at all levels
- Speaks on behalf of the UN Bonn organizations
- Supports the UN organizations in Bonn in their German-language outreach efforts
- Supports interagency collaboration
Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbung direkt an das Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO).
Bewerbungsformalitäten unter www.bfio.de, Stichwort: Junior Professional Officer (JPO)
Büro Führungskräfte zu Internationalen Organisationen (BFIO)
Villemombler Str. 76
(Ursprünglich) veröffentlicht am: